Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Number 172 Moves Up

Yesterday I went on the HoCo library website and removed my name from the waiting list for a Nook. I had moved all the up to 171 on the list after starting at 569 last August. As it turns out, Mama Wordbones came through for me first, giving me a Nook Tablet for Christmas. As I took my name off the list I wondered how many others in HoCo were doing the same thing. Sales of eReaders this year were expected to be three times that of a year ago. Who knows, maybe number 172 took their name off the list yesterday too.

So far my personal eReader experience is a bit mixed. Unlike some well known tech products, my out of the box Nook experience was not good. A software glitch required me to return to the store yesterday to have the factory settings reset before I could use the thing. Still, it wasn’t a big issue and was easily remedied by the tech in the store. I suppose that it’s just the kind of thing that happens when you rush a product out the door.

Even though it is now fully functional, it will still be awhile before I’m likely to read a book on it. When I visited my sister over Thanksgiving, she sent me home with "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand in what Beth Tribe calls a “tree book.” Since I was still finishing "Top Secret America" by Dana Priest and William Arkin at the time, Unbroken got put aside until now.  I’m not going to buy an eBook until I finish this tree book.

On the other hand, I figured could at least borrow an eBook from the library in the meantime just to test it out. I soon discovered that the only available library eBooks that I found even remotely interesting were all unavailable. 

It appears I’ve simply moved from one library waiting list to another
blog comments powered by Disqus