Thursday, January 26, 2012

New Toy


I got an iPad today. It feels like Christmas.

It came this morning by FedEx but I really haven’t done much more than open the box and hold it in my hands so far. It felt cool.

Today's schedule allowed for approximately thirty minutes of discretionary time between 7:00 AM and 4:00 PM. That was nowhere near enough time to savor the joy of a new tech toy. Play time would have to wait.

But I could at least get it wired up while I was running between appointments. Around 12:30 this afternoon I dropped into the Verizon store on Snowden River Parkway. I'd just pop in and get the new toy connected to my wireless account.

As I approached the store, no less than two people held open the doors for me, one to my left and one to my right. How could they help me they asked. After explaining the simple transaction that I wanted to conduct, the one on the right took my name and told me to have a seat. No one else was sitting on the little brown bench.

There were also very few people in the store. More than one lanyard wearing Verizon guy looked “available.” This shouldn’t take long I thought.

I thought wrong. Fifteen minutes later I was still second on the list. I walked out. Any discretionary time I had in my afternoon just got cut in half.


Anyway, I now have an unscheduled window of an hour and a half. There are many things that I should use that time for that are more important than playing with my new toy.

But those things are just going to have to wait.
blog comments powered by Disqus