Saturday, October 06, 2012

A One Dimensional Guest


When we received notice late Thursday that Brian Meshkin was reneging on his agreement to join us on the podcast, we had to decide what to do to fill the spot. We discussed trying to get someone else to fill in at the last moment but in the end decided it would be more fun to simply have Brian in absentia.

We mounted his picture on a piece of cardboard and propped it on a chair.

No one of us were really surprised at his cancellation. Beer bets were made that he’d find some excuse not to join us. You might be surprised to know that I actually took him at his word. I told the doubters that Brian had said he welcomed the opportunity to come on the show in comments made to this post.

“Growing up here in Howard County, I always felt like we were a small town between two big cities – a place where everybody counts.  That’s why my wife and I moved back here from California a few years ago.  It’s not a county where we lob personal attacks – it’s a place where we speak civilly and discuss fully.  So, if you’re interested, I’d be happy to come on your show.”

Note that he wrote this comment well after I posted this, this, this, this, and this about him. I thought he was genuinely interested in demonstrating that I had him all wrong.

“I look forward to finally meeting in person and having a conversation.  Who knows?  Maybe we’ll think better of each other afterwards.”

So, despite the popular sentiment that he wouldn't post, I took those beer bets. I actually took Brian for his word.

What was I thinking?

I should have known better. All I’m now left to conclude is that the questions of Brian Meshkin's character, that I and others have raised, have real substance.

You can listen to the 75th episode of “and then there’s that…” here.
blog comments powered by Disqus